Carbon monoxide poisoning is a life-threatening emergency that affects both children and adults, especially in the winter months. Dr. Jamie Kondis, Pediatrician at St. Louis Children’s Hospital, reviews the sources of carbon monoxide in a home, what symptoms to look for, and recommendations for prevention. Because carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas, people often breathe it in without realizing it until they’re very sick. About 20,000 people suffer from the poisoning each year, with around 500 of these cases being fatal. Along with ensuring your house has a carbon monoxide detector, you can have your fireplaces, generators, and heaters that use gas checked once a year and be sure to never leave your car running in the garage to prevent fumes coming into your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a very serious illness, but is easily preventable with proper precautions.