As marijuana has become legal in many states across the country, there has been an increase in children in the ER after ingesting edibles. This includes Missouri, which has legalized both medical and recreational marijuana. Dr. Lindsay Clukies details the marijuana ingestion risks for kids and how to spot symptoms.
Often packaged in bright colors, edibles can look and taste like candy. This can lead to children eating them without knowing what they are doing. Additionally, symptoms often do not present until up to two hours after consumption. If you have any of these products in your home, it’s important to treat them like other medicines you do not want your child to get into. This means storing them in areas your children cannot access. Symptoms of a child having ingested marijuana include dizziness, weakness, confusion, lethargy, high and low heart rates, and confusion. It can even lead to seizures or breathing difficulties.
If you have concerns about your child ingesting marijuana, call the poison control hotline at 1-800-222-1222. If your child is having any other symptoms like confusion or difficulty breathing, call 911 or immediately visit the ED.